The Forces Employment Charity is delighted to have been awarded the prestigious Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) Silver Award. In demonstrating our support for the military community, we have:
- Amended HR policies. We now offer an extra ten days of paid leave to Reservists and cadet adult volunteers.
- Supported 25,322 members of the military community into employment in 2022.
- Advocated on behalf of Defence, collaborating with partners and stakeholders.
- Carried out an education piece for businesses and hiring managers. We explained the employment barriers faced by military spouses and partners. In doing so, we adapted our procedures. We now ensure that we are an attractive employer for the Forces community.
A spouse’s story
“Embarking on an overseas move from Cyprus to the UK comes with its own set of challenges. Employment could be one of them. Thankfully settling into my role at the Forces Employment Charity was straightforward. Whilst in Cyprus, I applied for the role of Development Officer. I was selected for interview. The HR team understood my circumstances and arranged to interview me online. I was delighted to have been offered the role. My line manager pushed my start date back to ensure I had the time to complete my overseas move. I was able to settle into my new home and support my child with his transition into a new primary school.
From the get-go, I was supported and welcomed into the team. Having an employer who understands military life is invaluable. I’m so grateful. Thank you for the opportunity”
Military Spouse – Forces Employment Charity.
We take our commitment to Defence seriously. We are building on the momentum, striving for Gold in future rotations.
The Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) encourages employers to support Defence and inspire others to do the same. The scheme encompasses bronze, silver, and gold awards for employer organisations that pledge, demonstrate or advocate support to Defence and the armed forces community, and align their values with the Armed Forces Covenant.
- Bronze Award – Pledging your support to become a forces-friendly employer.
- Silver – Demonstrating your commitment to Defence.
- Gold – Advocating on behalf of Defence.
Make a tangible difference to the military community, and see how your firm can get involved by visiting The Armed Forces Covenant website.